10. Playdough(with ABC, number, word or name mats)
9. Wiki Sticks (with ABC, number, word or name mats)
8. Shaving Cream (in a bag or all over!)( draw letters or numbers in sharpie on a ziplock before filling with the shaving cream, get out as much air as possible and have the kids trace over your writing with their fingers, can also be done with hair gel, finger paing and glitter glue)
7. Finger Paint (or any type of painting for that matter)
6. Dancing (with scarves or without, there are some great kids Cd's out there with fun movement music)
5. Stamping and free art
4. lego competitions (who can build a lego guy fastest, who can build the tallest tower without falling over etc.)
3. Big book shared reading with creative activity to follow (for example, Eric Carle's Very Hungry Catterpillar could be followed with a rainbow, tissue paper catterpillar gluing activity)
2. Tent reading ( I keep extra bed flat sheets in my room and bring the pillows and stuffed animals form the library to create a tent area to read to the kids and for them also to enjoy some quiet reading)
1. MAKE GOOP (mix liquid starch with equal parts of white glue and water, mix until forms, mix alot! add food coloring to add color)
These are me top 10 rainy day activities that take little or no planning, I have all of these in my classroom along with the Lakeshore movement mats which i place around the room and make partners. I give each set of children 30 seconds at each mat and then move them to the next. One of the best purchases i ever made for my classroom. They have mats with push ups, sit ups, crab walks, hop on one foot. They are fun and the picture on the mat shows the children what to do. I suppose if you were good at drawing oyu could draw a set yourself and laminate for years of use.
Good luck staying sane in oyur classroom this winter, in Texas we have been lucky so far but the forcast says more rain than usual in March and April, so I guess I will be doing many of these activities then.
Till next time,
p.s. don't forget I am having a charity sale in my store for my school, our beloved principal passed away this last year and in her memory I am donating all of my proceeds this week in her name to our school.My Teachers pay teachers Store
p.s. only 10 days left until my 2nd giveaway here at The crazy pre-k classroom, don't forget to visit the giveaway page for details, once you enter your name will be in every drawing this year!