Welcome!

Welcome to The Crazy Pre-K Classroom! Please enjoy your stay, explore my posts and join for more to come! Blessings, Christine

Find my products on TpT

About Me

My photo
Round Rock, Texas, United States
I am a wife, a mother to 2 boys, and a Christian Kindergarten Teacher. Besides spending time with my family, I enjoy sewing, scrapbooking, quilting and creating innovative, hands on lessons for my students.

Followers

Teach Wise

Follow by Email

Google+ Followers

Why teach Pre-K?

Because, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Because, I love it and am called to it!

For my children and my husband!

Because I am me!

Labels

Academic based programs (2) Academics (5) activities (25) addition (9) adhd (1) All Star Spelling (3) animals (4) art (5) assessment (6) behavior (7) boards ideas (4) bugs (5) building (2) calendar (4) center ideas (29) centers (28) choosing a school for your child (3) Christian Schools (4) christmas (4) classroom ideas (26) classroom managment (18) counting (14) crafts (8) decoding (10) dental health month (2) dentist (1) differentiated instruction (41) discovery learning (16) free (30) free printables (27) freebies (35) frog activities (6) fruit (1) get to know your students (2) gingerbreadman (1) giveaway (26) I have/who has (4) insects (3) jungle (3) learning games (7) legos (2) letters (11) literacy (55) literacy centers (64) literacy units (42) math (54) math centers (61) monster theme (1) mutiplication (1) non-standard measurement (4) numbers (18) organization (13) our bodies (2) Parent Tips from the teacher (12) parenting (8) pattern (1) patterns (2) phonics (11) pond activities (5) popcorn unit (2) popcorn word work (1) pre-k (15) predictable readers (4) prekindergarten (11) printable books (4) private school (1) procedures (3) quiet centers (2) quiet toys (1) rainy day activities (2) rainy day ideas (3) read the room (9) reading (25) reading groups (17) Round Rock Christian Academy (2) Round Rock Christian Schools (2) RRCA (2) safety (1) scavenger hunt (1) seat work (3) sensory learning (10) sentences (3) sight words (9) skip counting (3) small group instruction (3) spelling (7) sports (1) spring (3) St. Patricks Day (1) stations (1) storage ideas (4) subtraction (4) tallying (1) teacher to teacher (4) teachers pay teachers (9) telling time (1) thanksgiving (3) time fillers (2) TpT unit extension ideas (5) TpT Units (9) transitions (1) Valentines Day (4) Valentines ideas (2) vocabulary (7) watercolors (1) winter (9) winter woodland (3) word work (13) worksheets (7) writing (5)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sentences and Sight words!

Hello All, Today our curriculum (Handwriting without tears get set for school Pre-K) called for sentence building. Each child was supposed to dictate a sentence and we were to count the number of words in the sentence. This is a simple activity that would only take a few minutes had I not put my own spin on it. I decided to turn this into a sentence building, sight word, graphing activity! WHEW! Literacy and numbers in the same lesson, I love double duty lessons!
We started by choosing a picture from a bucket. Each child took a turn and made up a sentence. We counted the number of words after I wrote the sentence on the large graph paper. Once our sentences were finished we identified and found each of our sight words. We circled each sight word and counted how many times we had used each word. I wrote the word and number on the right hand side of the sentence sheet.
Once we finished counting each sight word we made a bar graph to compare how many times we used each word. The children helped me decide which word we used the most, which 2 were tied for least and which 3 were a tie at 2x each. This was so much fun, the class realy enjoyed learning about making a bar graph and I do feel that this activity strengthened their recognition of this weeks sight words.
We also made the hibernating sorting graph from my newest TpT unit. The kids really liked the color pictures and have a good understanding of hibernating, relocating and adapting. This is turning out to be a great week! And now for a funny.........
This is my son Collin, he is 4, he did not want to eat his dinner so instead of fighting it he just decided to go to sleep! This is how he fell asleep and started snoring at our kitchen table. Haha, so cute! Have a blessed rest of your wek! Till next time, Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Ideas are always welcome, I am always looking for new units to create for TpT!