Welcome!

Welcome to The Crazy Pre-K Classroom! Please enjoy your stay, explore my posts and join for more to come! Blessings, Christine

Find my products on TpT

About Me

My photo
Round Rock, Texas, United States
I am a wife, a mother to 2 boys, and a Christian Kindergarten Teacher. Besides spending time with my family, I enjoy sewing, scrapbooking, quilting and creating innovative, hands on lessons for my students.

Followers

Teach Wise

Follow by Email

Google+ Followers

Why teach Pre-K?

Because, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Because, I love it and am called to it!

For my children and my husband!

Because I am me!

Labels

Academic based programs (2) Academics (5) activities (25) addition (9) adhd (1) All Star Spelling (3) animals (4) art (5) assessment (6) behavior (7) boards ideas (4) bugs (5) building (2) calendar (4) center ideas (29) centers (28) choosing a school for your child (3) Christian Schools (4) christmas (4) classroom ideas (25) classroom managment (16) counting (13) crafts (8) decoding (10) dental health month (2) dentist (1) differentiated instruction (41) discovery learning (16) free (30) free printables (27) freebies (35) frog activities (6) fruit (1) get to know your students (2) gingerbreadman (1) giveaway (26) I have/who has (4) insects (3) jungle (3) learning games (7) legos (2) letters (11) literacy (55) literacy centers (64) literacy units (42) math (54) math centers (61) monster theme (1) mutiplication (1) non-standard measurement (4) numbers (18) organization (13) our bodies (2) Parent Tips from the teacher (12) parenting (8) pattern (1) patterns (2) phonics (11) pond activities (5) popcorn unit (2) popcorn word work (1) pre-k (14) predictable readers (4) prekindergarten (10) printable books (4) private school (1) procedures (3) quiet centers (2) quiet toys (1) rainy day activities (2) rainy day ideas (3) read the room (9) reading (25) reading groups (17) Round Rock Christian Academy (2) Round Rock Christian Schools (2) RRCA (2) safety (1) scavenger hunt (1) seat work (3) sensory learning (9) sentences (3) sight words (9) skip counting (3) small group instruction (3) spelling (7) sports (1) spring (3) St. Patricks Day (1) stations (1) storage ideas (4) subtraction (4) tallying (1) teacher to teacher (2) teachers pay teachers (8) telling time (1) thanksgiving (3) time fillers (2) TpT unit extension ideas (5) TpT Units (9) transitions (1) Valentines Day (4) Valentines ideas (2) vocabulary (7) watercolors (1) winter (9) winter woodland (3) word work (13) worksheets (7) writing (5)

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall Study: Corn Mini Unit Freebie!

After having a super fun week with my kiddos studying corn I decided to put everything we did down on paper and give it away for free! It all started with a pesky common core objective involving measurement but turned out to be so much more! My teacher freind Bev Fleming and I decided that our Autumn theme would be best served by studying fall veggies, which eventually lead us to corn. We decided to create a cornstalk that would "grow" all week long. I made a base out of wood and used an old lightbulb holder to place pvc pipe in. I bought 4 couplers to attach the pvc pipe together as it grew. Here is a picture of our cornstalk on day 3. It grew from 1 foot all the way to 9 feet, with 5 ears of corn on it.
(this is my little boy, Collin) I used butcher paper and green paint to decorate the pvc pipe in sections so it could be easily assembled each day. I attached the paper with hot glue. For the ears of corn I glued 2 pieces cut into corn shape leaving a hole large enough to stuff it with pillow fluff. I then attached 2 green husk leaves. I attached the ears of corn to the stalk with clear packing tape.
I created a workbook for our kiddos to use each day when we measured ourselves next to the cornstalk. On each page is a sentence that the children filled in the height (standard measurement) and # of ears on the stalk (counting.) There is also a box of describing words for them to discuss and circle (vocabulary building). My favorite part of the page though is where the children draw themselves in relation to the stalk on each given day (non-standard measurment). It was so interesting to see who truly understood the concept of size and who didn't. We also took some time to taste several foods made from corn and then graphed our favorites. I also created a worksheet for us to cut and label the different parts of an ear of corn. All of the activities and printables we used are available for free on TpT. Use the link below to download your copy! Enjoy! Christine Corn Themed Mini-Unit

1 comment:

  1. That cornstalk is precious!! What a cute idea! Thanks so much for linking up to share. :)


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    PS - I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and Ideas are always welcome, I am always looking for new units to create for TpT!